Thursday 21 July 2011

Reflection (Week 3)

          Within this week, we are required to continue with another THINK, PAIR, SHARE activity on Assignment 1. The topic is about Learning Management System (LMS). From this activity, I gained more understanding about what LMS is and how it works. Basically, LMS is a set of software tools used to control and manage online learning, in other words, e-learning. It is able to keep track of learning efficiently. At the same time, evaluate learners' progress and also their performances on certain sectors. It is also commonly used by companies to train their employees.

          In order to produce a critical essay on this particular topic, my pair and I read up for further information from available online materials. After we had individually read up, we sat down and discussed about our findings and jotted them down in point form. We exchanged ideas as well. Finally, we came up with a brief introduction of LMS and also compared the differences between Learning Management System (LMS) and Content Management System (CMS). Then, we are required to write a report using Google Doc. The list below shows tasks to be completed within this week:-
  1. Using any search engine and study What, Why, Where, Who and hoW: of course / learning management.
  2. List the advantages of C/LMS.
  3. List the open souce software for C/LMS.
  4. Write a report using Google doc (use your google/gmail account to open http://docs.google.com/) and you can share with your peers, course lecturer and coordinator. The peers can give feedback.
  5. In google doc, save (download) the file as odt, pdf etc.
  6. Upload that file to your yahoogroups File.
          After exploring the use of google document, I found out that in order to create a document, go to "Create new" and choose a template (document, presentation, spreadsheet, form, drawing or collection). Since I am about to create a written report, I chose to create a document. Besides starting a new document, one can also upload saved files from personal computer to google docs by simply selecting "Upload" instead of "Create new".

          Everything goes on smoothly until our course coordinator, Dr. Siti Fatimah Mohd Yassin notifies me that my document is set to private and it is not shared among peers. Hence, I quickly check the setting of my google document and change it so that anyone with the link can see it. Another interesting thing about google document is that documents that are being shared can be viewed by members at the same time and users are notified for others' presence. Both parties can edit the text as well.

          Looking back to the previous discussion topics on our Facebook accounts and groups which I have created as well as commented on, I find several issues worth reflecting. First of all, it is about the issue of e-learning and also to promote the use of ICT in Malaysia, especially for rural areas. Our discussion did touch about the inadequacy of facilities in schools, including the lack of funds to support technology based learning since we are still in the lack of these experts. How far can the government support to increase computer literacy in students?

          I believe that to learn by exploring or through experimenting is more permanent and effective. Hence, students must be given enough exposure to ICT. Only that, they will be able to learn more easily. To let them learn, we have to start by creating a suitable environment for them. From my personal experience, I was quite a computer idiot. When I was in my school days, laptops were not as popular. Although I know the basic usage of computers, I only use it once in awhile when it comes to projects. I am considered lucky because at least ICT is not of total stranger to me. Until I walked into my tertiary education, when most of my time is spent with my laptop. I get to know it bit by bit, getting use of typing instead of writing, saving soft copies instead of handwritten hard copies, what to deal with viruses, how to install and uninstall software and so on. Until today, I cannot imagine my life without laptop and internet.   

          At the same time, technology can be quite troublesome when one does not know how to operate it. Problems such as documents not saved, files corrupted, etc arise. One will get frustrated and find it time-consuming. Still, I feel that we should grab this opportunity to improve so that we are equipped with the skills and knowlegde. Not to forget to keep on updating ourselves as well. Internet, the modern battlefield


Xin Txin

No comments:

Post a Comment